I was reading This speech by Al Gore, and it occurred to me what needs to be done by the US in order to fix their image on the foreign stage:
- Immediately release the prisoners in Guatanamo Bay, transport them back to their home country, and give them $500US (a good sum of money to get back on track for most of them)
- Cease programs like Echelon and disband CIA training of foreign nationals.
- Remove all military presences from the Middle East and replace them with civilian ambassadors.
- Instead of threatening with force, threaten with financial consequence. Likewise, reward "good behaviour" with increased foreign aid.
- Pay their UN dues.
- Discard the unilateral mindset regarding conflict.
- Put more resources towards UN peacekeeping duties. There are currently 13 American military men and women serving peacekeeping duties. Compare that to over 3600 Canadian soldiers sent to Afghanistan alone (in two 1800-soldier units on six-month rotation).